Now Post #1 – Podcasts & Web Site Development
Web site work & podcasts…That’s the normal way to prepare for Christmas right?
December 13, 2016
Okay, maybe its # 2 if you count the introduction post. But it is my first post on what I am working on right now.
What I’ve Been Working On:
- Updating the web site to reflect our new focus, check out our “Thought’s” post on our new direction.
- Developing a list of potential LP’s to target for our new fund, and an organized process around how we are going to reach out to them.
- Our new fence, its almost done! Unfortunately for everyone I’m starting my Now posts after I did our kitchen renovation and built the majority of our fence, I’m sure you would have all been anxiously awaiting updates otherwise. But, the fence is up and standing, I am just working on the finishing touches of screwing in all of the boards, which I’m sure will be a never ending project.
What’s Sparking My Mind:
- Podcasts! While working on the kitchen and fence I have become a podcast junkie. I just finished listening to “How I Built This – Patagonia: Yvon Chouinard”. Amazing story, and a true example of how you can succeed in business by thinking about things other than growth.
- While on the subject I highly suggest two podcasts if you have time to listen: The Tim Ferris Podcast and Hardcore History. For Tim Ferris I suggest starting with either his interview with Malcom Gladwell, whose podcast I am also obsessed with, or Derek Sivers who inspired this section of the site. For Hardcore History I suggest the series “Blue Print for Armageddon” on World War I, it is a set of six podcasts that are over four hours each, but well worth it.
- Reading Small Giants by Bo Burlingham over and over again. This book is what sparked my mind in thinking about private equity in a new way; it was definitely the right book at the right time for me.
What I’m Doing with my Downtime:
- This afternoon is Arsenal vs Everton, so my productivity will go downhill come 2:45. I am cursed to be an Arsenal fan, but constantly live by our recent modo “This is the Year!”
- The best summary of an Arsenal fan’s experience came from Roger Bennet on the Men In Blazers Podcast: “To be an Arsenal fan is to suffer repeated agonies only biblical Job, field goal kicking Charlie Brown, and Phil from Groundhog Day can understand”